U.S. Department of Education PEP Grant – $150,000-$300,000 Available!
The purpose of the PEP Grant is to award grants and contracts to initiate, expand, and improve physical education programs for all kindergarten through 12th-grade students.
The Secretary is authorized to award grants to local educational agencies and community-based organizations (such as Boys and Girls Clubs, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, and the Young Men’s Christian Organization (YMCA) and Young Women’s Christian Organization (YWCA)) to pay the Federal share of the costs of initiating, expanding, and improving physical education programs (including after-school programs) for kindergarten through 12th-grade students by —
- (1) providing equipment and support to enable students to participate actively in physical education activities; and
- (2) providing funds for staff and teacher training and education.
- (b) PROGRAM ELEMENTS– A physical education program funded under this subpart may provide for one or more of the following:
- (1) Fitness education and assessment to help students understand, improve, or maintain their physical well-being.
- (2) Instruction in a variety of motor skills and physical activities designed to enhance the physical, mental, and social or emotional development of every student.
- (3) Development of, and instruction in, cognitive concepts about motor skill and physical fitness that support a lifelong healthy lifestyle.
- (4) Opportunities to develop positive social and cooperative skills through physical activity participation.
- (5) Instruction in healthy eating habits and good nutrition.
- (6) Opportunities for professional development for teachers of physical education to stay abreast of the latest research, issues, and trends in the field of physical education.
- (c) SPECIAL RULE- For the purpose of this subpart, extracurricular activities, such as team sports and Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) program activities, shall not be considered as part of the curriculum of a physical education program assisted under this subpart.
Local educational agencies, any public institution or agency having administrative control and direction of a public elementary or secondary school.
The Federal PEP Grant share may not exceed 90 percent of the cost of a project.
The grant funds may not be used for extracurricular activities, facilities or salaries.
Programs must be designed to provide funds for training and education of teachers and staff, and for equipment and support, to enable students in one or more grades, kindergarten through 12, to participate in physical education activities. To be considered for funding an applicant is required to:
1. Have conducted a needs assessment of how well its current physical education program is enabling the LEA to attain State standards for physical education.
2. Include in the application how proposed activities will help the LEA make progress toward meeting state standards for physical education.
3. Set measurable goals and objectives and describe how progress toward achieving goals will be measured annually.
36 months. (3) 12 month project periods.
Number of Awards and Award Size Estimates:
Approximately 93 grants ranging from $150,000 to $300,000 a year.
Free Assistance in Writing your Grant Application!
PEP Grants are available before March of each year to improve your school. The Peaceful Playgrounds Program is the perfect solution to ensure a successful government playground grant application. Sign up Now and use our experience to write a winning application for your district.